Monday, June 23, 2003

Great Hymns

One of the members of the RFC mailing list recently requested submissions of "strong hymns from any age which can help us keep our faith strong." Given my Protestant background I posted some of my favorites:

"All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name" - Edward Perronet (1726-92)
"All People that on Earth do Dwell" - William Kethe (d. 1594)
"Come Thou Long Expected Jesus" - Charles Wesley (1707-88)
"Love Divine, All Loves Excelling" - Charles Wesley
"O For A Thousand Tongues To Sing" - Charles Wesley
"Rejoice! The Lord Is King" - Charles Wesley
"Holy Holy Holy Lord God Almighty" - Reginald Heber (1783-1826)
"Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise" - W. Chalmers Smith (1845-1908)
"Just As I Am, Without One Plea" - Charlotte Elliott (1789-1871)
"Now Thank We All Our God" - Martin Rinkart (1586-1649)
"O God, Our Help In Ages Past" - Isaac Watts (1674-1748)
"When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" - Isaac Watts
"To God Be The Glory" - Frances Jane van Alstyne (1820-1915)

Regretfully, since my conversion my general experience of music in the Catholic Church echoes Thomas Day's famous scathing polemic Why Catholics Can't Sing. Perhaps some readers can alleviate my distress by recommending some good Catholic music?

No comments:

Post a Comment