Saturday, March 9, 2024

Open to me the gates of repentance, O Giver of Life,
For my spirit rises early to pray toward thy holy temple,
Bearing the temple of my body all defiled;
But in thy compassion, purify me by the loving kindness of thy mercy.
Lead me on the paths of salvation, O Mother of God,
For I have profaned my soul with shameful sins, and have wasted my life in laziness.
But by your intercessions, deliver me from all impurity.
When I think of the many evil things I have done, wretch that I am,
I tremble at the fearful day of judgment.
But trusting in thy loving kindness, like David I cry to thee:
Have mercy on me, O God, according to thy great mercy.

Orthodox Christian hymn from Great Lent

_____________________________________________

(Dipping into Alexander Schmemann's Great Lent: Journey to Pascha as part of this season's Lenten reading)

No comments:

Post a Comment