From Kathy Schiffer comes the news that Catholic writer Stratford Caldecott died July 17, at 60 years old, after a long battle with cancer.
“Strat” Caldecott, FRSA, was the editor of the international journal Second Spring, co-director of Second Spring Oxford Ltd., co-editor of the UK and Ireland edition of Magnificat, and editor of the online book review journal of the Pontifical John Paul II Institute in Washington, DC, HumanumReview.com. He was a commissioning editor for the Catholic Truth Society in London and served on the editorial boards of Communio, The Chesterton Review, and Oasis.
His many books include, most recently, Not As the World Gives: The Way of Creative Justice (Second Spring Books, 2014); a two-part study of the meaning and purpose of the Liberal Arts: Beauty for Truth’s Sake (Brazos, 2009) and Beauty in the Word (Angelico Press, 2012); The Radiance of Being: Dimensions of Cosmic Christianity (Angelico Press, 2013) and All Things Made New: The Mysteries of the World in Christ (Angelico Press, 2011).
Besides his other online projects, Stratford also maintained the blog The Economy Project (a blog dedicated to Catholic Social Teaching). He also contributed to the Imaginative Conservative, and on May 21, 2014, left us with is last post, "Search for the Secret of Life and Death".
I never had the opportunity to meet him in person, but we would correspond on occasion regarding the writings of Joseph Ratzinger (Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI) and the Christian-Muslim dialogue. He was, as so many have attested, a true Catholic gentleman. He will be sorely missed.
For those in the UK, the funeral requiem Mass will be at the Oxford Oratory Thursday 31st at 10.00 am.
Tributes and Remembrances
- Church Mourns Death of Leading Catholic Author Zenit News Agency. 07/18/14.
- Stratford Caldecott: Farewell, by Todd Aglialoro (Catholic Answers). 07/14/11.
- Catholic cultural renewal advocate Stratford Caldecott mourned, by Kevin Jones. Catholic News Agency.
- Friend Strat: Further Up and Further In, by Fr. Dwight Longenecker.
- RIP, dear sweet Stratford Caldecott, by Mark Shea (Catholic and Enjoying It)
- Stratford Caldecott, R.I. P., by Joan Frawley Desmond. National Catholic Register 07/19/14.
- Requiescat in pace, Stratford Caldecott, by Stephen Klugewicz. The Imaginative Conservative 07/18/14.
- How I assembled the Avengers: Daughter of cancer patient Stratford Caldecott explains how Hollywood’s biggest stars came together to grant a dying grandfather’s wish. The Independent UK. 05/19/14.