Monday, March 3, 2003

Lenten Reading

According to the Times, Cardinal Ratzinger has some interesting Lenten reading:

"I will be reading Night by Elie Wiesel, about the experience of Auschwitz; the new book La Promesse, by Cardinal Jean-Marie Lustiger, Archbishop of Paris, on the relationship between the Old and New Testaments, and on the relationship between Israel and the Christian world; finally, a book by the Cistercian historian, Gerhard Winkler, Bernhard von Clairvaux, a magnificent presentation and interpretation of the thought and spirituality of Saint Bernard of Clairvaux."

As for myself, in case anybody's interested:

  • Selections from Parochial & Plain Sermons by John Henry Newman for the Lenten season.
  • Heart of the World, by Hans Urs von Balthasar -- which I have read several times through, and find myself returning to again during this time of year (one of my personal favorites).

I would be curious to know what others are reading -- if they plan to engage in spiritual reading during the Lenten season? (Feel free to comment).

No comments:

Post a Comment