Thursday, August 5, 2004

Recommendation: The Navarre Bible Commentary

I'll preface this with the note that I'm not a biblical scholar and can't venture any kind of knowledgeable opinion -- I just know what I like.

Over the past several years I've been benefiting from the free subscription to the Catholic Information Center's Dailywordtoday, which publishes the Mass Readings for the day along with accompanying commentary from the Faculty of Theology of the University ofNavarre, Spain. The commentary makes much use of a wide variety of sources, including the Catechism, the documents of Vatican II, the writings of the Fathers and Doctors of the Church, and saints both past and contemporary -- a prominent example of the latter being St. Josemaría Escrivá, which I suppose is to be expected from a Spanish university.

If you're interested in reading the scriptures and commentary in more tangible format than an email, The Catholic Company sells an entire line of commentaries on individual books. Likewise, for those who can't afford the 12 volume set -- beyond my budget as well -- they have a compact edition of the New Testament.

No comments:

Post a Comment